Enterprise Software Redesign


PROJECT

My team was tasked with redesigning my company's largest customer-facing product; an enterprise software that tracks fleet activity. I was responsible for completing several content inventories, designing features (i.e. feedback form, user settings, password help, etc.), and conducted usability tests and presenting findings to executive stakeholders. 

Methodology

I worked on this project for about three years and my responsibilities varied during that time. I did everything from wireframing and process mapping to designing and conducting the usability test.

SKILLS USED

  • Wireframing
  • Content Auditing
  • User Testing
  • Usability Testing
  • process mapping
  • Interviewing
  • Sketching
  • Prototyping

Evaluating

This project began with gathering as much information available. Through comprehensive interviews with customers and stakeholders, I created a database of feedback.

 

Scoping 

The theme building process provided us a good idea of some of the most common issues customers were facing. We began to explore deeper in an effort to understand and document the dependencies and/or tech debt and any other obstacles that interfered with making improvements. Our goal was to prioritize work based on level of effort, available resources, and time constraints.

 

Creating a Pattern Library

The pattern library seemed like the most logical place to begin.  The software was fifteen years old and offered little consistency from page to page regarding functionality or visual design. Creating a pattern library would help us outline how each component should look and behave and provide redlines for developers.  We also created content guidelines to ensure consistency and alignment with the "company voice" across products. 

The software communicated with apps that had been developed in-house and were only available on a device that was also built in-house, so we created a separate library for the tablet, shell, and mobile apps.

 

Adding Responsive Design

As mentioned above the software was fifteen years old so it did not translate well on tablets and mobile devices. We designed how the software should be experienced on mobile devices. This included thing like; creating breaking points that correlated to the most used device sizes, defining click areas.

 

Adding New Features

In addition to updating the old design, we also worked to develop new features to keep the software current with the demands of customers.  We worked with the development team to map out a new and faster data structure that could support the new features and enhance existing features.

One of these new features I worked on was a report subscription component that allowed users to have reports emailed to them daily, weekly, or monthly.

 

Updating Existing Features

I worked on the map (exhibits to the right, both before and after) which frequently had to interact with the data tables. Through user testing, I found that users wanted a larger view of the map, more printing options, and the ability to view anything, including alerts and notifications, that might put their assets in legal jeopardy. I tried to provide users with the assurance that their assets were always communicating with them.

 
 Pattern Library detail

Pattern Library detail

 Thumbnail images for work flows

Thumbnail images for work flows

 Responsive breakpoints

Responsive breakpoints

 Tablet and Web look and feel

Tablet and Web look and feel

 Report Subscription

Report Subscription

 Early map & data table design

Early map & data table design